Friday 17 May 2013

Waking up at the VLT



OMG I AM AT THE VLT... !


Sunset at the VLT
After a wonderful nights observing under the darkest skies I have ever seen, I wake up disoriented… my room, you see, is 2,400ft above sea level and I am at the VLT

I remember watching the sun set behind the four 8m diameter telescopes... magical. 

After sunset, we were granted access to the SCIENCE! The VLT is responsible for more scientific papers than any other... Scientists studiously viewing multiple computer screens, waiting for a signal that will ignite them into action. I talked to Veronica, a Belgian scientist who was studying a star in the giant globular cluster Omega Centauri. The star was pulsating and she was taking data… but what for? 

Playing in our Universe
Well, that’s research, right? By studying the nature of how things work, we become aware and empowered to live well and in harmony. For me, education is about furthering knowledge: Veronica was doing just that, pure research, finding out what is real. Science: a tool for making sense of what we see in the Universe.







The view from my room in the Residencia as I awake...
Anyway, that was last night and now it's morning again! I stumble out of bed and draw the curtains, I laugh out loud. My eyes are still fat and sleepy but I can see out  over 100miles into the Andes mountain range, a BIG blue sky envelopes us all and wraps up the earth beneath, I am amazed at what I can see, it is so beautiful, my vocabulary can't express the feelings I have. I didn’t think the day could get any better than this and I wanted Sarah to be here with me so she could see it too. But that day had only had just begun and it was about to deliver my best experience to date.

Hernan, my, host arrives and I tell him about my problems: although I am lucky enough to escape into this desert playground I know the technological world is still there waiting to hear from me! I need to tell all about what is happening, but I can't because of poor internet connection. We try to establish contact but my laptop will not play ball, I have no idea why, I feel angry and frustrated that I cannot post my blog or send pictures to you all...(nb I'm adding this note a few days later - you are probably reading this a few days late!). I realise this is a compromise that I (and you, sorry!) will have to live with for now anyway.



Onwards: breakfast is served! I arrive into the  retro-futuristic style dining area and am greeted by chefs who give me fruit salad and orange juice: just what I need after days of BBQs and eating on the road. After breakfast, I set my camera on charge ready for the night's observing... and set off with Hernan on a tour of the whole facility... 





More of this to come! One thing affecting us in a way we weren't expecting: the altitude plus a 16-hour filming schedule is EXHAUSTING. We are looking forward to R & R at the eco-hotel Tierra Atacama who are hosting us for a few days :)



No comments:

Post a Comment